Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Celebrating A Great Man


Today is the 11th Anniversary of the passing of Jerry Garcia.

While I was not a fan of the Grateful Dead in 1995, I can say that I now appreciate just what kind of effect this man has had on music and on popular culture.

No surprise to most people who know me, but I am a huge fan of Garcia and the Dead. I love this band and the music that emenanates from these guys getting together and having some fun.

My parents didn't exactly have old Grateful Dead records and tapes hanging around the house for me to stumble upon in my youth. I found them through another avenue; Phish.Being first exposed to Phish and all of the musical possiblities that the band explored really opened up my mind to sampling new music. And from there I decided to try out Jerry and the Boys, as well as many other great musical acts. Today this music is what fills the bullk of my CD and mp3 (and SHN!) collection

It was a fitting tribute that the Grateful Dead retired that name officially with the passing of Jerry. Today they are known simply as the Dead.

Nugs.net is streaming nothing but Jerry today.

Sirius Radio has been saluting Jerry since August 1st on Channel 17 - Jam On

RIP Jerry. You have touched us all.

Now go throw on a Dead shirt and play some Franklin's Tower on your stereo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home